Friday, July 10, 2015

Saint Andrew's Cross - Confederate Battle Flag

The star in the center is for the State of Maryland. When it came time for Maryland to vote, President Lincoln had the Maryland government legislatures locked up so they could not vote. Some today may not realize that Maryland is a Southern state. 
This is a heritage we all can claim.

Red - Valor of Confederacy
White - Purity - Christianity
Blue - Justice
Stars - Southern States fighting to succeed from the tariff tyranny of the north.  [There were slaves in both north and south. This was NOT the cause of the war.]

Cross - What looks like an X on the "Confederate Jack" is actually the cross of Saint Andrew. Andrew was the disciple of Jesus who was the first martyr. When the Roman government set about his crucifixion, Andrew protested. He asked to be crucified in the form of the X as he didn't feel worthy to die in the same manner of Jesus. The Confederate leadership apparently felt inspired by Andrew's fortitude and adopted his cross into their flag.


Here is a quote of a black man who fought for the Confederacy from a sermon by John Weaver.
You see the Confederate Battle Flag is not a racist symbol and it never has been. One of my favorite stories is about a black representative, John F. Harris, who was a legislator in Washington County, Mississippi. And he had the opportunity to vote for Senate Bill #25, which was a bill to erect a Confederate Monument on the Capitol Square in Jackson, Mississippi. Now the bill did pass and Mr. Harris, who was sick and got out of his bed to give his speech before the Senate, did so and, on February 23, 1890, the Daily Clarion Ledger of Jackson, Mississippi printed his speech in full. Let me read a portion of it to you. He says, 

"Mr. Speaker, I have arisen here in my place to offer a few words on the bill. I have come from a sick bed. Perhaps it was not prudent for me to come, but Sir I could not rest quietly in my room without contributing a few remarks of my own. I was sorry to hear the speech of the young gentlemen from Marshall County. I am sorry that any son of a soldier should go on record as opposed to the erection of a monument in honor of their brave dead. And Sir, I am convinced that had he seen what I saw at Seven Pines and in the seven days fighting around Richmond, the battle field covered with the mangled forms of those who fought for their country and for their countries honor, he would not have made that speech. When the news came that the South had been invaded, those men went forth to fight for what they believed. And they made no requests for monuments. But they died and their virtues should be remembered. Sir, I went with them. I too wore the Grey. The same color my master wore. We stayed four long years and if that war had gone on until now, I would have been there yet. I want to honor those brave men who died for their convictions. When my mother died I was a boy. Who Sir, then acted the part of a mother to the orphaned slave boy but my old misses. Was she living now or could speak to me from those high realms where gathered the sainted dead, she would tell me to vote for this bill and, Sir, I shall vote for it. I want it known to all the world that my vote is given in favor of a bill to erect a monument in honor of the Confederate dead."

Here was a man, a black man, who wore the Confederate gray and he understood the War was not a racist War. Now, let me tell you, the Confederate Flag is not a racist flag.

The early KKK protected blacks. Later northerners dressed like them and attacked the blacks to cause racial dissension in the South. Here’s a little on that subject:


No comments: